- View All
- January 1, 2005 - December 31, 2009
has contribution area
has academic priority
has USDA Area
impact statement impact
- Although results are still preliminary, our research has already increased awareness of the "cluster" concept and cluster enhancement strategies among the over 200 participating farmers and support providers. Each of the eight farmer groups has gained a better understanding of its organizational strengths and weaknesses, and the potential benefits of developing collaborative relationships with other entities within the supply chain and/or supporting agencies and institutions.
impact statement issue
- With the growing public interest in supporting small farms, sustainable agricultural practices and local foods, there are significant market opportunities for small farm operators in the Northeast region. However, developing these opportunities will require increased collaboration and coordination among small farmers and the many other entities within the regional food system. The "Industry Clusters" concept provides a framework for analyzing existing cluster-like relationships among farmers, and suggesting intervention strategies to enhance cluster development and small farm profitability.
impact statement response
- We are studying eight existing, cluster-like networks of small farmers in the Northeast. Study methods include key informant interviews, written surveys, and social network analysis. Preliminary results have been shared with participants in the study, and opportunities for supporting each farmer group are being explored, for a possible second phase of research and extension.
impact statement summary
- We are gaining a better understanding of how the economic viability and sustainability of small farms in the Northeast can be enhanced through "clusters" in which farmers work collaboratively with other farmers, with other entities in the supply chain, and with supporting institutions such as Cooperative Extension and land grant researchers.
- Green, Judith Joanna Researcher
- Northeast Regional Center for Rural Development; Northeast US Partner (Northeast Regional Center for Rural Development)
- Penn State University; State of Pa Partner (Penn State University)
- Rangarajan, Anusuya Researcher
- UMASS Cooperative Extension; MA Partner (UMASS Cooperative Extension)
- UMD Cooperative Extension; MD Partner (UMD Cooperative Extension)
- Applied Research
- Green, Judith Joanna Cornell Academic Staff