Biological and Environmental Engineering Graduate Field/Program uri icon

  • Loading website image. . .   
Both Ph.D. and M.S. degree candidates are required to select at least one minor subject from outside the field. The M.S. and Ph.D. research degrees require submission of an acceptable thesis or dissertation.

The professional degree of Master of Engineering (Agriculture and Biological) is intended primarily for students who plan to enter engineering practice. This program is intended to develop students' backgrounds in engineering design as well as to improve their fundamental engineering knowledge. Cornell's catalog has additional information. Graduate Study in Engineering and Applied Science  has additional information. 

The professional degree of Master of Professional Studies (Agriculture) is intended for those who want to further their training for practitioner-type work in agricultural technology and who do not intend to become involved in engineering design and research. In addition, the M.P.S. (Agriculture & Life Sciences) program has a Peace Corp option in which the student undertakes two semesters of academic work at Cornell and a Peace Corp assignment. For information and instructions on how to apply, check the M.P.S. (Agriculture and Life Sciences)/Peace Corps Web site, or contact International Programs, 33 Warren Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853; phone 607-255-3037; email

Affiliated Departments


    • soil and water engineering
    • structures and environment
    • food processing engineering
    • international agriculture
    • environmental management (M.P.S.(A.L.S.) only)
    • local roads
    • machine systems
    • biological engineering
    • environmental engineering
    • energy

field members